Well, I’ve been MIA for a little while now. I got back from New York last week and was at the tail end of some sinus congestion, but then played a wedding at Allan Gardens Conservatory a few days later. I think the conservatory’s humidity and bit of mould got to me, because within an hour I didn’t feel great, and that tickle became a full blown cold… Good news is I’m feeling much better today and thought I’d help a few of you out there start a relaxing weekend with some yummy gluten-free, dairy-free and sugar-free pancakes!
This gluten-free pancake and waffle recipe is from my book, Where Do I Start? Your Essential Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free and Sugar-Free Food Allergy Cookbook, and is one of the first recipes that I ever converted to be gluten-free. Delicious, quick and simple – and a great way to start a weekend.
Waffles and pancakes use essentially the same recipe, only waffles require slightly more oil to prevent them from sticking to your waffle iron. You can find small electric waffle irons at most stores in the small appliances section.
3/4 cup Rice milk
2 tbsp Grapeseed oil (4 tbsp for waffles)
3/4 cup Brown rice flour
1/4 cup Tapioca starch
1 tbsp Baking powder
1/8 tsp Stevia powder
1/2 tsp Sea salt
- Beat eggs until thick. Mix in milk and oil.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Batter should be somewhat thick – easy to pour, but not runny. Adjust thickness as necessary with water or flour.
- Drop batter into oiled pan over medium heat, or into waffle maker.
- Serve with butter or coconut oil, maple syrup, agave syrup, fresh fruits, nutmeg and/or cinnamon.
- Substitute rice milk with any other tolerated milk substitute, or water.
- Substitute brown rice flour with millet flour.
- Serve with coconut oil instead of butter if dairy is not allowed.